Friday, May 10, 2013 - Sunday, May 26, 2013A Fly on the Wall
251 EAST HOUSTON STREET, NY
Lower East Side
NEW YORK 10002
Monday, November 28th, 2011 - Tuesday, January 31st, 2012
Reception: May 9, 2012, 6:00 pm
251 East Houston Street
New york NY 10002
Details: DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: JANUARY 31, 2012
PWP invites all women artists working with any photographic process to submit images for juror Mary Ellen Mark. The contest includes $3000 in cash awards; valuable prizes provided by Datacolor, global leader in color management solutions and color communication technology; a group show in Manhattan’s .NO gallery; an online exhibition and a feature article in IMPRINTS Magazine Spring/Summer 2012 issue.
AWARDS: Winners will be selected in four categories. Submissions may be made to more than one category, and there is no limit to the number of images that may be submitted. The categories are:
• The Human Experience (Portraiture, Street Photography, etc.)
• Our Earth (Landscape, Cityscapes, Animals, Nature, etc.)
• Travel (Any subject or genre, taken while away from home)
• Digital Imagination (Digitally enhanced images, including Composites, Montages, Abstracts, etc.)
Selected images, as well as 15 Jurors’ Selections, will be exhibited in May 2012 in a group show at .NO gallery, located in Manhattan's hottest new arts and culture area, the Lower East Side, and in an online exhibition on the PWP website for six months, June 1, 2012– November 30, 2012. An additional 30 images selected for Honorable Mention will also be included in the PWP online Exhibition.
• GRAND PRIZE: One photographer will receive $600, plus a Datacolor Spyder3Elite color calibration system and SpyderCube raw calibration tool ($279 value.) Her image will be the subject of a feature interview in the Spring/Summer 2012 issue of IMPRINTS Magazine. IMPRINTS, the official publication of PWP. Her image will also be in the .NO Gallery show and the online exhibition.
• FIRST PRIZE: 4 photographers (one in each category) will receive $300, plus a Datacolor SpyderCheckr camera calibration system ($129 value.) Their selected images will appear in an article in the Spring/Summer issue of IMPRINTS Magazine. Their images will be exhibited in the .NO Gallery show and the online exhibition.
• SECOND PRIZE: 4 photographers (one in each category) will receive $200, plus a Datacolor SpyderLensCal ($59 value.) Their images will appear in an article in IMPRINTS Spring/Summer issue. Their images will be exhibited in the .NO Gallery show and the online exhibition.
• THIRD PRIZE: 4 photographers (one in each category) will receive $100 plus a Datacolor SpyderCube ($49 value.) Their images will appear in an article in the Spring/Summer issue of IMPRINTS. Their images will be exhibited in the .NO Gallery show and the online exhibition.
• Jurors’ Selections: 15 additional images will be included in the gallery and the online exhibitions.
• Honorable Mention: 30 additional images will be included in the PWP online gallery exhibition.
ELIGIBILITY: This Call for Entries is open worldwide to ALL WOMEN PHOTOGRAPHERS; NON-MEMBERS AND MEMBERS OF PWP, AMATEUR AND PROFESSIONAL. PWP invites women photographers working in all mediums, styles and schools of thought to participate. Experimental and mixed techniques are welcome. Only 2-D work is eligible and images accepted for the gallery show must be limited in FRAMED SIZE to 20 x 24 inches.
ENTRY FEE: The entry fee is $35 for the first three images. Additional images may be submitted for $10 each. The same image may be submitted to more than one category.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JANUARY 31, 2012
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Click on this link.
2. Create your account (or log in if you have previously registered for a PWP international open call.) NOTE TO PWP MEMBERS SUBMITTING TO AN INTERNATIONAL OPEN CALL FOR THE FIRST TIME: Do not use your PWP member login name and password. You must create a new account login name and password.
3. Pay your entry fee. Payments are made online by credit card.
4. Upload your images to the categories you select. (After payment, you can upload images at any time until the competition closes.)
IMAGE PREPARATION: Prepare your images as required before beginning the submission process. Submissions are only accepted via the online process. Email attachments, CDs, or prints are not allowed and will not be returned.
Digital image files must meet the following specifications: - 8 bit JPEG files (CMYK and 16 bits files will not be uploaded) - longest dimension 1280 pixels (width or height) - resolution of 72 ppi, JPG compression quality of 7 or 8. - Images will be viewed by the jurors as RGB images; therefore Adobe RGB or sRGB profiles should be used. - The file name of each image may contain a maximum of 25 characters, not counting .jpg. The file name may not include characters such as #, $, &, periods or other similar characters, and should start with your last name, then your first initial, and then the name of the file. There should be only one period in the file name, just prior to the file extension (i.e. Smith_J_filename.jpg). It's important to follow these instructions about the file name to allow for proper entry and storage into the image database. - Image title (name of the artwork, not the filename) is a separate entity and may not exceed 40 characters. - If you submit more than one image with the title, “Untitled,” please number them for easier identification.
ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION: Everyone whose images are chosen for the exhibitions will receive an email notification of the accepted image(s).
JUROR: Mary Ellen Mark is an American photographer known for her photojournalism, portraiture, and advertising photography. She has had 16 collections of her work published and has been exhibited at galleries and museums worldwide. She is a contributing photographer to The New Yorker and has published photo-essays and portraits in such publications as LIFE, The New York Times Magazine, Rolling Stone, and Vanity Fair.
Ms Mark was presented with the Cornell Capa Award by the International Center of Photography in 2001. Among her other achievements are the Infinity Award for Journalism, an Erna & Victor Hasselblad Foundation Grant, a Walter Annenberg Grant, the John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship, the Matrix Award for outstanding woman in the field of film/photography, and the Dr. Erich Salomon Award for outstanding merits in the field of journalistic photography. She was also presented with honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degrees from both the University of Pennsylvania, her Alma Mater, and the University of the Arts; three fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts; the Photographer of the Year Award from the Friends of Photography; the World Press Award for Outstanding Body of Work Throughout the Years; the Victor Hasselblad Cover Award; two Robert F. Kennedy Awards; and the Creative Arts Award Citation for Photography at Brandeis University.
• Entries due: January 31,2012
• Notice of Acceptance: February 18, 2012
Online Exhibition: June 1 – November 30, 2012
• .NO Gallery Exhibition: May 2012
EXHIBIT PRINTS: All accepted images submitted for exhibition must be printed and framed professionally in black metal or wood frames. PWP recognizes that some work is non traditional and incorporates the framing as an integral part of the presentation. Artists will be responsible for shipping their framed images to PWP in advance of the gallery show and for supplying a pre-paid return shipping label.
SALES: All work accepted for the gallery show must be for sale. PWP will retain a 20% commission on the sale of any work.
USE RIGHTS: Artists maintain copyright on all of their work. By submission for jurying, artists grant PWP the right to use their images for the purpose of marketing the exhibition and other PWP programs, and for reproduction online and in a print Exhibition catalogue. Artists grant the use of their image(s) as stated without further contact or compensation from PWP. Artist’s recognition is provided with any use. Submitting artists will be added to PWP's monthly newsletter subscriber list. They may opt out using a link on each newsletter at any time.
Any questions, email email@example.com
Please retain this information for your files until after announcement of the jury selection.
Open to Both PWP Members and the General Public